Katharine Carr
UX Professional

The Smartwatch

User Research

 

Overview

Project Objective

Study how people are using the smartwatch. Define the average customer, how they feel about the purchase, frequency of use, and hurdles to learning and living with a smartwatch.

My Role: I completed three field studies and developed two of our four personas, and a user journey showing life with a smartwatch.

Deliverables: Personas, task flows, a journey map and a use matrix.

Key Tools & Methods:

  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Adobe InDesign
  • Draw.io (tool to create task flows)

Date: Fall 2016

Link to full presentation


Case Study

Competitive Analysis

We reviewed Michigan legal website for its straightforward information architecture, and Gov.uk for its strong organization of a directory-type navigation. 

Audience

We developed four personas based on the information we had from the client; most people come to the site in crisis and need information about the law to protect themselves or their loved ones. Most users are low-income, low-literacy and many take advantage of accessibility features.

Constraints

MassLegalHelp.org has a very limited amount of man power behind it, so we were limited in our recommendations by what would be feasible for one or two people to manage and implement. We needed to consider our audience as well - many of the site's visitors are low-literacy and in crisis mode when they reach the website. 

User Research: Card Sort

We set up our card sort using Omnisort website. We had 58 cards, one for each of our proposed pages and section titles. We recruited 15 participants who completed the online card sort activity. From the test, we recognized a disconnect with some of the legal language ("asylum" was commonly misunderstood) and contextual confusion ("frequently asked questions" and "legal protections" were unclear page titles unless you saw them within the context of their section).

Our revised sitemap trimmed the site's sections from 11 to 9.

Design Process & Solution

We revised the site architecture by creating a refined sitemap, trimming their top level from 11 to 9 sections, and greatly simplified the second layer down by grouping more topics together. For the minutia, we suggested an alternate "content type" system, rather than every article having its own page. We suggested creating additional accessibility features and keeping them in a more consistent place, creating pages with consistent header structure (h1, h2, h3) and greater content to support SEO.

View the final wireframes

Takeaway/Retrospective

This project showed me how important collaboration and feedback are to me. I like developing products that others contribute to, sharing ideas and riffing off of each other so the final product is one that none of use could have created on our own. I also learned a ton about SEO and had a blast designing the wireframes. I learned Omnigraffle for this project, which has quickly become my new favorite prototyping software.